As some of you may have heard, the Global Poker League will have its World Championship Event take place in what organizers are calling The Cube. Alex Dreyfus, the man in charge of the GPL, recently revealed that the 20’ x 20’ x 20’ signature arena will be made out of 11 tons of glass.
The Cube is portable and can be assembled in a wide variety of venues, which Dreyfus anticipates will add to the mystique of the events.
If you haven’t heard about the plans for the upcoming GPL, here are some of the details that were distributed:
- GPL Season 1 will start in Q1 2016 with 12 Franchises / Cities in 2 conferences (LA, NYC, SF, ...)
- Each teams will have 5 players including 3 drafted players during GPL DraftDay
- GPL World Championships will be held in 1st tier Sports Arena in United States in summer 2016
- GPL’s Signature Arena : The Cube – An immersive and engaging fan experience.
- Games innovations including : Gameclock (chess alike), Players standing-up and Poker table with Real Chips and Digital Cards to have 4x faster game.
- GPL becomes a poker content factory : pre-game show, live shows, post-game analysis, ...
- GPL is a Daily Fantasy Sports compatible format, allowing DFS operators to offer contests.
- GPL is working with IMG Consulting – leading sports marketing agency
- Repucom snapshot : 63% of Poker Fans would watch the GPL World Championships, while 52% consider it extremely / very relevant for Poker ; 30% indicate an interest to buy tickets to attend GPL Live events.
You can find out more details about The Cube here, or watch the interview Dreyfus gave to PokerNews below.