Adelstein Says J-4 Scandal Was Not Personal
PokerOrg’s preview shows him recasting the controversy as a Hustler Casino Live vulnerability ahead of a Sept. 1 memoir release.
PokerOrg published a sneak peek from Garrett Adelstein’s upcoming interview in which he says the famous J-4 controversy should not be read as a personal attack. In the clip, Adelstein says he first felt wronged, but has since come to see the episode as alleged con artists finding vulnerabilities in Hustler Casino Live’s setup and taking their shot.
He says the fallout had real personal consequences, but that it “wasn’t about me” and could have been anyone sitting in his seat that day. The teaser is part of an interview with Craig Tapscott, and PokerOrg says the full conversation will follow later this week.
The preview also points to Adelstein’s memoir, Beneath The Cards, which PokerOrg says will be published by Permuted Press on Sept. 1 and distributed by Simon & Schuster. The book comes as the hand remains one of the most debated live-stream moments in modern poker.
The controversy began on Sept. 29, 2022, when Robbi Jade Lew called Adelstein’s all-in shove on Hustler Casino Live with jack-four and won a $269,000 pot. Hustler Casino Live’s own J-4 report says the hand was streamed to a worldwide audience and that Lew later agreed to return half the pot.
That report also says Bulletproof found no evidence of tampering, remote access, viruses, rogue hardware or previously installed programs on the machines it inspected. At the same time, the assessment said the system review was inconclusive and that no security process can fully stop mechanical or electronic cheating.
Against that backdrop, Adelstein’s new framing is that the episode was about opportunists exploiting weak points in the livestream, not about him personally.